
As a designer I find it hard to classify myself. I don't have any obvious design traits that identify me. At first I believed that my culture had no bearing on my design, as I grew up in a middle class NZ European (read white) family and to me that just seems 'default'. However, upon reflection of this I realised that it does have some impact on my designs, albeit small. I tend to be drawn to symmetrical designs, and symmetry seems to be predominant in my works which links to European culture in that European design features mainly straight, orderly forms.
I found that my gender doesn't seem to have much of an impact at all except that I would much rather design a weapon than an article of clothing. It's not much and it's a very stereotypical view, but it's the only difference I can come up with.
Being an atheist I find myself with a sense of freedom in my design, as I am not restricted in what I say or depict, however, I am not entirely sure the restrictions are as tight as I imagine in this day and age.
Overall I find myself in a peculiar situation as a designer; I seem to have no identity, at least not in the traditional sense, although I am perfectly fine with this.
No comments:
Post a Comment